Saturday, August 18, 2012

The great closet experiment

I think I'm on a self-improvement kick lately that I'm sure has nothing to do with getting engaged, turning 29, and having extra time after finishing grad school!

My latest kick is the closet experiment (not to be confused with the sad, never started nor completed bedtime experiment that will someday hopefully come around again). As some of you may know, I LOVE shopping at Goodwill. I think it's because I'm cheap frugal and you can get a lot for your money. As a result of that and the habit of looking at clothes in every store I go in, I have acquired a large amount of clothing.

Having a lot of clothes wouldn't be so bad if I actually wore all of them, but I don't. Like most women, I frequently feel that I have "nothing to wear" and rely on the same pieces quite often, even when they're not the most flattering things. So, I've decided to conduct "the great closet experiment."

The parameters:

  1. Wear every piece of clothing I own at least once- including workout clothes, undergarments, pajamas, etc.
  2. Get rid of things that don't look great on me or just feel "eh". I've been watching a lot of What Not To Wear lately, and one of their basic ideas is that you shouldn't wear anything that doesn't make you look and feel great because there are options that will make you look and feel your best.
  3. Immediately get rid of anything that's stained, torn, has holes in it, etc. This comes from me wearing a shirt to work recently that was a missing a button...in the middle of the shirt (I know a button can be sewn back on, but honestly, it would be a hassle to find the same button and I would probably take way too long to do it).
  4. Be creative- there are a lot of fashion blogs out there that pair things together that I would've never thought worked, but they do. I need to work with what I have, and I may find that I have more than
    enough. I also may find that there are some staples that I am missing.
  5. No purchasing new (or new to me) clothes for at least two months. This one's definitely going to be the most difficult to follow because I buy lots of things. But, it will let me save money, and it will help me keep from cluttering my closets with things that may not fit, since I'm on a weight loss journey.
I've already started working on items 1-3, but 4 and 5 are starting today, which means that I'm on a shopping freeze until October 18. I may try to post some follow ups to this on here, but since I'm not the best at maintaining this blog, it may not happen. I will post the final results in October though! Wish me luck!



No comments: