Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Thoughts on Lent

Tomorrow marks the beginning of Lent, a 40 day journey from Ash Wednesday to Easter. I can't pretend that I know a lot about it as it tends to be practiced more by Catholics, but I do know that one characteristic of it is that you give up something for that time period. From what I understand, you're supposed to give up something that keeps you from getting closer to Christ, but I think that many people just give up a vice, such as chocolate, coffee, or Facebook (mine last year).

I talked to a co-worker about it today, and I thought about giving up gossiping, but then I had an epiphany: I should not give up a harmful habit/vice just because it's Lent; I should give it up because I want to improve my relationship with Jesus. 

So, yes, I should give up gossiping during Lent...and afterwards...and for the rest of my life. Yes, I should give up coffee if I'm in pursuit of it more than I'm in pursuit of my Savior. I shouldn't have to have a designated time frame in which I give things up, only to pick them up again afterwards. I want to grow closer to Jesus. I want to do what He wants me to. I know what things are holding me back, and I'm going to work on them, with His help, before, during, and after this time frame, and I would encourage you to do the same.

No comments: