Saturday, May 10, 2014

Make Yourself Amazing in April...and Beyond!: Day 12

Today's chapter is called Rise Up!
Focus verse: She's up before dawn, preparing breakfast for her family and organizing her day. (Proverbs 31:15, The Message)

I am not a morning person. I know that's a shocking confession, especially to those who know me in real life, and since I'm the daughter of a man who says "embrace the morning." Blech. I'll embrace it...around 10 or 11! However, despite not being a morning person, I work at a place that opens at 7:30 during the academic year, so I have to get up and get moving.

Beyond having to get up for work and exercising early, Sarah points out that God wants us to rise early and prepare for the day, as well as rise up and make a difference.

Since I have been in a slump lately, this is a perfect call for me. It's so easy to stay in your rut, with your head down, not really rising up to do anything, but this is the wrong attitude to have. As Sarah says, there will always be opposition, excuses, and difficult situations, but you have to choose to rise anyway.

Throughout the chapter, Sarah gives examples of amazing women who rose above their circumstances and made a difference in the world for God. I won't spoil the details, but it's very inspiring to see these women who have done great things in spite of their circumstances. It definitely made me think about just what a whiny brat I've been lately when there's not been anything nearly this challenging in my life!

When we've experienced sin, brokenness, or anything that makes us want to fall instead of rise, we have to move past those things and persevere. Sarah says not to let brokenness hold us captive because we deserve better than that. We have to rise from brokenness, embrace the victory that is ours, and determine not to go back to that place of brokenness again.

Today's challenge: Take a moment and picture yourself in a challenging situation that you may face today. Now picture yourself rising to conquer it. 

No comments: