Monday, November 9, 2020

10 on the 10th : November 2020

I used to love doing weekly and monthly question posts like this, so I'm glad that my blogger friend Leslie decided to take over 10 on the 10th posts this year. I've got a reading linkup post planned for tomorrow, so I decided to put this one up a day early. I believe this is the only time in my life that I've ever been early for anything! 


1. Will you watch the Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade? Football? Movies?

I *think* that I read that the Thanksgiving Day parade is cancelled this year. We usually had it on our TV, but we didn't really pay attention to it. We actually were always just waiting for the Westminster Dog Show (is this still happening this year?!? Guess I need to check on that now so I have time to whine about it if it's cancelled...). We watch football too. My dad is a huge Dallas Cowboys fan, so it's always fun to see them get stomped play a good game each year. We might watch a movie too. We're having a small discussion in our house about whether I've seen the movie Up or not (I HAVEN'T, DEAR HUSBAND), so we may watch it on Thanksgiving if we haven't before then. 

From Char's first Thanksgiving in 2016!

2. Who does the cooking? Fix anything ahead of time?

Usually my husband and I both do the cooking. We'll each do certain parts of the meal. I think Char will probably want to help this year too! We don't make anything ahead of time since we stay home for Thanksgiving and keep the meal kind of small. 

3. What time do you eat the big meal?

We usually eat in the early afternoon. We'll put the turkey in the oven around mid-morning and let it start cooking, then we'll throw everything else together when the turkey is almost finished. We never have a specific time since we keep things pretty laid-back around here! 

4. Do you set a formal table or keep things more casual? Place cards? Children's table?

We definitely keep things casual around here! Thanksgiving is the one holiday that we have kept strictly to just our household family, so we don't set the table or do anything formal. We don't always even eat at the table on Thanksgiving; it really just depends on what kind of mess our table is on that day! Ha!

5. Is the food placed on the table or served buffet style?

It's served buffet style, and we keep everything in the kitchen. Since there are just 3 of us eating, it's pretty easy just to make all of the plates in the kitchen and then carry them to wherever we're eating!

6. Ham or turkey? What's for dessert?

Turkey!!!!! The first year Will and I were married, he asked for ham for Thanksgiving. I had some kind of sinus bug, and he had to work a half day overtime. So, when he got home, he was exhausted, and I didn't feel well. I remember being so upset that he didn't want to eat the second he got home and that we had to eat "stupid ham instead of turkey," 😂 Now I'd just tell him to make a ham if he wants it because I'm team turkey! Dessert is usually pumpkin pie because that's one of Will's favorite desserts, and I don't really so no to any sweets!

7. Does your family have a Thanksgiving tradition?

I guess our tradition is that we stay home and keep Thanksgiving to our own house. We might start decorating for Christmas, but that's not really a must do for us every Thanksgiving!

8. Yay or nay to leftovers? Favorite leftover recipe?

Yay for me, nay for Will, and it depends on what the food is for Char! Will usually eats one plate of leftovers, and then he's done. I'll eat it for a couple of days before I'm sick of it. However, we've gotten better about not buying/making too much for Thanksgiving, which cuts down on the amount of leftovers we have (and makes it cheaper for us!). I don't really have a favorite leftover recipe that I make, but my mom makes my great-grandmother's turkey hash, and it's really good! I also may try making "The Moist Maker" this year too with this recipe


9. What will everyone wear? Dress up or comfy?

Comfy, comfy, comfy!!! Since we stay home, we have no reason to dress up! Plus, if you don't wear elastic band pants, then you're doing Thanksgiving wrong! Ha!!

Don't you wish they had comfy outfits like this for adults?!? From Char's first Thanksgiving, 2016.

10. For what are you most thankful this year?

My family. Hands down. I'm always thankful for them, but this year has been a year for everyone, and it's been crucial to have my family. Love you all! 

My favorite daughter and favorite husband!

Linking up with Leslie! Take a look (tomorrow!) and see how your Thanksgiving compares...and maybe get some new recipes for leftovers!




3 comments:

Kirstin said...

Loved reading your answers. I participated this month too.

Joanne said...

Definitely comfy over here too!

onceuponatimehappilyeverafter.com said...

So embarrassed and horrified to realize I did not comment on the posts of anyone who joined me for this month. Could have sworn I had read your post but this year, nothing surprises me. I am so sorry.

So glad to see you back to blogging. Hope you enjoyed your Thanksgiving dinner and the leftovers. Charlotte has gotten so big in your time away.

Thank you for joining me. Please forgive my delinquency in commenting. Stay well.