Sunday, October 28, 2012

The great closet experiment: A wrap-up

My two month experiment in not shopping, getting rid of clothes, etc. has been over for almost 2 weeks now, but I'm just now getting around to recapping it. So, how did I do? Well, these were my original parameters:

1. Wear every piece of clothing I own at least once- including workout clothes, undergarments, pajamas, etc.- I failed at this one. I branched out some, but I still had a tendency to wear the same things over and over again, especially workout clothes, undergarments, pajamas, etc. This parameter made me think that maybe this should be a longer experiment- 6 months?

2. Get rid of things that don't look great on me or just feel "eh"- I did better at this one. Since I'm getting married in March and moving into a new house, I'm trying to be more ruthless about what's going to come into my married life. I think that and this experiment helped me be much more inclined to toss things that I didn't like into the Goodwill bag instead of holding onto them.

3. Immediately get rid of anything that's stained, torn, has holes in it, etc.- I only came across a couple of things with loose hems (an easy fix for some but not for me!), so those got thrown into the Goodwill bag. This one is a good rule to follow.

4. Be creative- I did okay with this one. I tried to put together pieces that I normally wouldn't have thought of together (check out my fashion blog to see some of these examples). I'm working on getting better with this one, especially since I've been getting a style magazine in the mail unexpectedly. I guess the universe knows that I'm interested in fashion and style and gave me a gift subscription...

5. No purchasing new (or new to me) clothes for at least two months- Failed miserably on this one. Part of it was having to get new to me pants since my work pants from last year were too big. Part of it was just blowing money. Argh. This one definitely needs to be given another shot...

Overall I did okay on this, but I think I can do better. I may revisit this after the wedding and turn it into a longer experiment- perhaps June through December 2013, that way I could encompass a few different seasons. I'll keep working on steps 1-4 though!

No comments: