Friday, September 6, 2013

Blogtember: September 6

Friday, September 6: A story about a time you were very afraid.

In October 2009, life was going well but busy. I was almost two years into my current career. I was taking professional development classes through an online community college program, and things were moving right along. 

Then my dad's heart decided to stop working correctly.

I lived at home at the time, and I still remember my mom coming into my room around 2 or 3 AM and telling me they were going to the hospital. We didn't know what was going on at the time, but later on, it was revealed that if things hadn't gone the way they did- if the doctor would've sent him home instead of doing this one particular test- then this story (and all of my stories) would have a very different ending. 

During the midst of all of this- heart surgery, my mom staying overnight with him, driving downtown to his hospital- my brother had a massive seizure. So massive, that we had to call 911 the morning it happened and have him taken to another hospital. Neither my mom nor I knew what was going on or how to fix anything. I'd like to say that I prayed and felt peace about the outcome of everything, but I didn't. I was scared. I was stressed. I took it out on my coworkers. I, inexplicably, made batch after batch of mini muffins for my brother and me one night. But, in the end, everything worked out. My dad is healthy. My brother is healthy. The fear is gone, and I am strong. 



2 comments:

Unknown said...

And you were my rock and saving grace through it all! Without you, I would have crumbled also! You were stronger than you think, my brave, beautiful, strong child! I am super proud of you! ��

Amber said...

Thanks Mom! I got it from you, of course! =)