Sunday, November 24, 2013

21 Days to a More Disciplined Life: Day 17 (Stop Comparing Yourself to Others)

This is the third day in a row that I've been really excited about the chapter topic because I feel like it's really speaking to me! But, before we talk about this one, let's look at yesterday's exercise. Paine wanted us to read an article and make a list and action plan for things we procrastinate on. Honestly, I only did the article one because we ended up being busier than I expected today, and I just didn't do my list...or, you could say that I procrastinated on it! I do have a list of things I'm procrastinating doing (my "eventually" list), so I guess I need to just work on my action plan now. The article had good advice in it, including don't try to accomplish more than 10 tasks a day. It's a short read, so take some time to check it out.

In today's chapter, Paine reminds us that we're all in different places and stages in life. One of her major takeaways is that you need to do what is best for you in whatever life season you're in. As Jon Acuff says, "don't compare your beginning to someone else's middle." This is a great lesson, but it's something that I (and maybe some of you) have a lot of trouble remembering and need constantly reinforced, especially when I'm working on my goals. Paine says to consider what your family's needs are and your own strengths and weaknesses, then choose goals that work for your family, even if they're almost the exact opposite of what works for someone else.

Today's exercise is to evaluate your goals and make sure they are based upon what is best for your family and not something you feel you need to do because someone else is doing it or someone else told you that you should do it. Do what works for you!

No comments: