Wednesday, November 27, 2013

21 Days to a More Disciplined Life: Day 20 (Do It Now)

Hmm, I'm sensing a theme in these chapters...

Yesterday's exercise was to read an article and make a plan on how to stop procrastinating, start planning ahead, and begin getting things done early. My thing that I focused on was my morning routine. I open the library every morning except Fridays, which means I should be at work at 7:25. This isn't tough considering that we're up at 5 on weekday mornings, and I don't have to leave the house until about 6:45-6:50. That should give me plenty of time in the mornings to have quiet time, get dressed, walk the pup (if it's not raining), and eat a frog, right? Wrong! I very rarely plan ahead, so I'm usually rushing in the mornings to try to make mine and Will's lunches, figure out what we're having for breakfast, pick out my clothes for the day, and finish chores that I should've finished the night before, like folding laundry or unloading the dishwasher. So usually I'm running around like a crazy person in the mornings, and I leave later than I should, so I drive faster than I'm supposed to, and arrive at work as a frazzled mess! My quiet time usually gets cut short or completely skipped also because that's a "luxury" that I can't afford when I'm running behind. Argh! So, I sat down and made a time block schedule of how I'd like for mornings to go. I also modified Flylady's Before Bed and Morning Routine lists to reflect my needs a little more and give me some guidance on how to be more efficient at night and in the mornings. I'm thankful I have a few days off before I have to test these new routines though! ;-)

Today's chapter again encourages us to do things now. For example, instead of thinking about answering an email and looking at it in your inbox, just do it. Instead of continuously putting off little jobs or writing them down on your to-do list, just do the job and get it done. I am SO guilty of doing this. I'll say that I need to do something ten or twenty times at least instead of just doing it. I spend more time thinking about getting a task accomplished than it would actually take to accomplish it. As Paine says, most of the time, it only takes a few minutes or less, and then the task is no longer nagging you, taking brain space and energy, and it's done!

The exercise for today is to pick at least two or three tasks on your list that can be done in less than two minutes and do them right now! (In all honesty, I'm not going to do this right now. It's almost bedtime for me! But, I promise, I'll do it in the morning!).

No comments: