Thursday, November 14, 2013

21 Days to a More Disciplined Life: Day 8 (Put Your Goals On Paper)

Yesterday's exercise asked what negative thought patterns I needed to squelch. I'm not going to get too deep here, but I definitely have a problem with negative self-talk. Even as I've been doing this series, I've been thinking things like "I won't be able to finish this" or "this is just another project that I'm going to start and fail." Nice, huh? The second part of the exercise asked what I would do to replace these thoughts with positive, inspirational thoughts. I'm learning Scriptures, especially those about the power of words and the mind, so that's one way I'm going to get the negative thoughts out of my head. Another thing I'm going to do is just to remind myself that it is a slow journey and just because I'm not always 100% on point doesn't mean that I need to give up! How do you guys replace negative thoughts and self-talk?

Today's chapter is interesting to me because it's something that Will and I have talked about doing a few times but haven't done yet. Paine says that in order to make sure your goals have purpose and weight to them, they need to be written down. She links to goal-setting worksheets from Project Management Skills and Cigna Behavioral Health (too lazy to link tonight. Maybe another goal of mine should be not to wait until close to bedtime to write...). She also suggests putting the goals in a conspicuous location and reviewing them often. Coincidentally, this is the exercise for today, so I know what we'll be doing after work tomorrow!

No comments: