Monday, May 13, 2013

Blog Every Day in May: May 13

Today's prompt: Issue a public apology. This can be as funny or as serious or as creative as you want it to be. 
I had to fight really hard not to write out the lyrics to Mrs. Jackson by Outkast here (you know, "Sorry Mrs. Jackson...I am for real..."). I had a little bit of a difficult time with this one because I wanted to make it funny, but I know that there are a couple of serious apologies I need to make also. In the end, I went with a serious one because it's Monday, and I'm feeling serious, so here we go...

Dear girl I saw at the Lion King last week,

I'm sorry for making fun of your dress. I'm not sure if you heard me or not. I thought I was being so clever by nodding at my friend, then nodding at you to indicate that I was perplexed by your wardrobe choice, and then the snarky comment I made just sealed my fate as the funniest person there, right?

The truth is, I had no reason to say that. You were probably just 16 or 17 years old, if that, and there was no reason for me to be rude to you. I shouldn't be rude to anyone, despite their age, but I should be especially careful about what I say to and about younger people. One mean comment can damage an already fragile self-esteem. One mean comment can stay with you for years. And honestly, my mean comment was just for the benefit of my friend; I didn't really care one way or the other what you had on, and it didn't look bad. So to her and all of the other people I've misdirected my snark, anger, displeasure, etc towards, I'm sorry. Blowing out someone else's candle doesn't make mine look any brighter, and it's definitely not the best way for me to share Jesus with others. 

I'm sorry.

-Amber



2 comments:

Shaylynn... a girl, a story, a blog said...

Hum.. this is important. I am so guilty of doing such things. Perhaps we should hang out and be good examples to each other? no? yes.

Amber said...

Yes...and that would take care of my issue of not being able to make friends anymore. Also, I'll bring bacon.