Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Blog Every Day in May: May 22

Today's prompt: Rant about something. Get up on your soapbox and tell us how you really feel (a pet peeve, a current event, a controversial topic, something your husband or roommate or neighbor or boss does that really ticks you off)

It was hard for me to write this in light of the tragedy in Oklahoma. However, I know that no matter how many things happen and how often I say I'm going to be a "better person," there's always a rant inside of me... ;-)

I'm working to lose weight. It is by no means an easy process. I like to workout (once I drag myself out of bed), and I'm getting better at the healthy eating thing. During this process, I'm tracking my food and weight loss on MyFitnessPal. Since last week was the first week I really refocused my efforts, I had a decent week and lost a few pounds (likely water weight). One of my friends on there made the comment- "I wish I had your luck."

Luck?

I get where she's coming from. I know how frustrating it can be to think that you're doing everything right and not see the numbers on the scale more. I get it, I really do, but this is in no way luck.

It's not luck when I'm at the gym at 5:30 AM. It's not luck when I meet a friend to run at 6:30 (er, 6:45) AM. It's not luck when I'm drinking 80 ounces of water per day. It's not luck when I'm tracking every bite that goes into my mouth, constantly planning my food, and passing up unhealthy treats that I know are delicious. Luck has nothing to do with this; it's a little willpower, a little determination, and a lot of habit-changing.

I've been in this struggle for most of my adult life. I've lost and gained weight more times than I care to even discuss. If you go into my archives, you'll see one of my "weight loss experiments" when I decided to try blogging about my progress. This isn't luck at all. This is making informed decisions about nutrition and choosing to move my body at least 30 minutes a day, at least 5 days per week. If it were luck, then there wouldn't be any hard work involved; I could just choose to do and eat whatever I wanted, and the weight would fall off.

I wish her the best as she goes through her weight loss journey, but if she's relying on luck, something tells me she's in for a long, difficult road.


No comments: